New and improved! We’ve made some alterations to the original recipe to make it even better. We’ve also made a banana pancake recipe that is better in my opinion, it helps to hide the flavor of the gluten free flours.
Every Saturday morning we have pancakes. It’s been several years of gluten and dairy free for Brad’s allergies, but throwing the egg free as well makes pancake making – at least the light fluffy yummy pancakes – difficult. We’ve tried a ton of recipes and variations of recipes. They all either tasted funky, were not the light fluffy pancakes I was looking for. Well, look no further! I think we have finally found “the” on. It’s based on this recipe with a few tweaks.
- 1¼ Cups Almond Milk (can use less or more for cake like or thinner pancakes)
- ¼ Cup Canola oil
- 2 T flax-meal
- 2 T sugar
- 2 t Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1¼ Cup Sorghum Flour (I tried rice as a sub… it doesn’t work as well at all)
- ¼ Cup Tapioca flour
- ½ Cup Corn Starch(or Potato Starch for a corn allergy)
- 1 t xanthan gum
- 1 T baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ¼ t salt
- Mix milk, oil, flax-meal, sugar, vinegar, and vanilla together and set aside.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl and add milk mixture.
- Fry about a ¼ cup of batter on skillet over medium heat, flip when sides become dry and several bubbles form on the top of the pancake.
- Cook a few more minutes, until done. This makes about 10 pancakes. They keep well in the fridge for up to a few days later. Enjoy!