A while back Brad was in the mood for scalloped potatoes. Being allergic to both dairy and soy made all the cheese sauce substitute recipes I found impossible. I tried some using nutritional yeast, many say that it adds a cheesy taste to a “cheese” sauce. We never got that. The craving for scalloped potatoes also came around the same time as my discovery of Daiya Cheese Shreds. Though pretty expensive, I fell in love with them as a cheese substitute. We only use them every once in a while because of their expense. The “cheese” sauce I was able to create using the Daiya Shreds was very yummy and actually tasted like a comparable dairy filled counterpart.
My mom had the idea to use this sauce base for a macaroni and cheese – using gluten free noodles of course. The result was delicious! We added cubed ham as well. My next “project” is creating a bread crumb topping for this….
- 4 cups cooked gluten free pasta, drained
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp rice flour
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¾ cup Daiya Cheese Shreds (packed)
- 2 cups cubed ham
- Combine milk, rice flour, tapioca starch, salt and pepper in a sauce pan.
- Heat on low to medium heat until thickened.
- Add Daiya cheese shreds and stir until melted and well combined.
- Combine sauce, cooked noodles and ham in a 9×13 pan and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.