Landon loves cookies (what 3 year old doesn’t). We don’t do a lot of sweets around here so anytime we have sweets it’s super exciting. These “cookies” are doubly exciting because I will let him eat as many as he wants! They have no added sugar and can even be made with no oil to be low calorie, low fat and full of health!
- 1½ cup oats
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 2½ cups of dried fruit or chopped nuts (like craisins, raisins, almonds, dates, you could even do chocolate chips for a little extra sweetness)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients then mix on medium speed until evenly mixed.
- Scoop a well rounded tablespoon, roll in a ball and place on a lightly greased cooking sheet. Flatten to ¾ to 1 inch or so thick. They will not flatten at all during baking.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. This made about 1½ dozen “cookies” for me.
I have made them before using mashed banana as a substitute for the oil and they come out fine! Don’t expect them to be sweet like a “normal” cookie, they have a subtle sweetness to them, but nothing like a normal cookie would. Feel free to add a little sugar to sweeten it up.